Northside P.O.W.E.R. (People Organized to Work, Educate and Restore) is an institution-based people’s power organization whose members are located in the Northside of the City of Chicago and North Shore Communities. Northside P.O.W.E.R. works on issues that address the causes of hunger and poverty.
Northside P.O.W.E.R. was created in 2004, as a result of a strategic planning process undertaken by A Just Harvest’s Board of Directors. Reflecting upon the fact that the numbers of hungry people has continued to increase in recent years, the board decided that the organization needed to go beyond feeding people to address the causes of hunger and poverty.
Northside P.O.W.E.R. is intentional about recruiting and developing community leaders and conducts regular training along with partners. For more information about upcoming leadership training click here.
Covenant for Economic Justice
A Just Harvest covenants the following:
We proclaim the need for a new guiding set of values for our economy. We reject the dominant value system that says money and profit is the measure of all value, that promotes private individual wealth over the commonwealth, that insists that the market provide all the justice we require, that casts all misfortune as moral failure and that scorns compassion as coddling the unworthy.
We covenant to pursue in our public life and service the realization of the following values for economic justice:
1. Economic Justice: We will act to ensure the economy provides opportunity for all and benefits the many rather than the few.
2. The Common Good: We recognize and proclaim that some goods and services in society must be publicly funded and administered for the sake of the common good, and be held accountable to “we the people” through our democratic government. These common goods must be protected from being solely provided on a profit basis or by private entities.
These common goods include:
- Health Care
- Criminal Justice
- The Military
- Social Security
- Public Infrastructure
- Public Service & Safety
3. Protect Democracy: We will work to ensure that our country and its political jurisdictions are democratic and based upon the principle of one person-one vote and not on the principle of who can raise or contribute the most money. We do not believe corporations are persons and we will work to rescind the status of corporations as persons.
4. Living Wage Work & Worker Rights: We support the idea that every person who is willing and able to work should be able to work with compensation that can sustain a family. No one who works should be poor or lacking in basic needs. Those unable to work should have their basic needs provided for. Workers have the right to organize themselves into unions and bargain collectively for wages, benefits and working conditions free of employer intimidation, harassment and coercion.
5. Environmental Protection: We affirm that a healthy environment is the fundamental need of the human race and all living things. No system or right of property supersedes our basic obligation to protect the commons of our natural environment. We will act to limit our own carbon footprint as much as possible and to ensure my government enacts policies that protect the environment and seriously address global climate change.
For more information about upcoming leadership training click here.