- What time should I arrive for my volunteer shift in the Community Kitchen?
Monday through Friday volunteers should arrive at 4:00 p.m. and expect to finish around 7 p.m.
Saturday and Sunday volunteers should arrive at 4 p.m. and expect to finish around 6:30 p.m.
- Can I bring in a group to volunteer together?
We welcome both individuals and small groups. To schedule a shift to volunteer in the Kitchen, please contact our volunteer coordinator at 773-262-2297, ext. 24 or by email at volunteer [at] ajustharvest.org. Please let us know at least 3 days in advance if you are not able to bring as many volunteers as you planned. Out of respect for other volunteers who are scheduled on the same night, please do not bring a group larger than the size for which you scheduled.
- What is the minimum age for volunteers?
Except under limited circumstances, the minimum age of volunteers is 12 years old. If you are bringing a group of children between the ages of 12-14, please bring 3 adults to help supervise.
- Can I volunteer at A Just Harvest to complete my Service Learning or Court-Ordered Volunteering requirements?
- A Just Harvest is open to all Chicago-area Service Learning, Court-Ordered, and Community Service volunteers.
- All Academic, Court-Ordered & Community Service Volunteers MUST be scheduled through our volunteer coordinator.
- Please note:
- Attending an orientation is required.
- You will be placed on the schedule according to availability, in the same fashion as all other volunteers.
- Placement and ability to finish all hours with A Just Harvest is in no way guaranteed, as that depends solely upon volunteer openings and opportunities.
- What should I wear for my volunteer shift in the Community Kitchen?
For safety reasons, you must wear pants and closed toed shoes, even in the dog days of summer. You will be handling hot food and beverages, and dressing accordingly will help protect you against burns or other accidents. We provide hairnets and gloves (required by the health department) and aprons.
- What should I bring to my volunteer shift in the Community Kitchen?
- Bring your spirit of service and camaraderie! We serve 150+ meals nightly, and we couldn’t do it without the collaborative energy of volunteers. Be prepared to work hard and have fun.
- Money to feed the meter. Parking outside A Just Harvest is metered and costs $1 per hour. Chicago parking meters now accept credit cards.
- Please leave your valuables at home. Coats will be stored in the back, but will not be locked up. Please leave purses, iPods, jewelry, and other valuables at home. A Just Harvest will not be responsible for any items lost or stolen.